19 February 2010

Nice is...nice?





I know, I know. Why am I posting blurry pictures? WHY AM I POSTING THREE BLURRY PICTURES? Well, it's probably best to try NOT to understand.

I love blurry photos. Accidents and motion, not someone's attempt at photographing fireworks. The long story is that I had to leave Marseill very, very early--well, you know. My train left at 720 and I was staying in the suburbs. When I told the guy at the hostel that I HAD to leave at 630, he scoffed. It was downhill to the train station! In the end, I don't know if he overslept or if he just decided I didn't need all that time (even if I thought I did)--he didn't let me out (the whole building was locked--like a Russian nightclub. I would not want a fire) until close to 700, and I, predictably, got lost, although this time I surprised even myself by getting lost less than a minute after I left the hostel. I took two right turns and ended up who knows where--the cat dimesion or maybe the lost-sock-in-the-dryer dimension. Short story? I was basically throwing my bike on the train as it pulled out of the station. Well, not quite, but it was within seconds, I assure you.

Once I'd caught my breath, I took photos out the window of the sunrise. Pretty! There is one of a city street...so this is technically still Marseille.

And this one, I can't get to flip. Sorry, but I like it.

Palm Springs? Florida? Nope. Nice. LOOK AT THAT SKY!


If you look up close, that's right, Hotel Floride! Complimentary teeth brushing? Or maybe they only host dentists?


Okay, so, pretty beach and water and everything...but this beach was also handicap accessible! That's right, it had a wheelchair ramp leading down to the...uh, wait a minute. To the sand? Um...


Art. Public art. Guys contemlating on the top of poles. With birds balancing. I think there was a time when the end of the world was coming (Godspeed, You!Black Emperor--can't help it), at least according to some, and there were really devout people that basically built little towers and sat on top and waited for The End. Of course, maybe I dreamed that...or it's now called shopping.

I know I already posted this guy, but he's so irresistable!



And his flying-pig window companions. This was in the window of La Galarie Rosonoff, heading toward the really, really touristy area. 'Not made in china, not made in USA' and 'Pigasus Volubilis' are bothe by Patrick Schumacher; the painting behind the Buddha is 'Turning Orange' by Akhilesh.


NO ONE does churches like the Russian Orthadox. Seriously, I'm surprised Communism could compete.



And the knife sharpener again.

So now I remember why I have so few pictures of Marseille. My card was full and I had to delete things to take pictures in Nice. I couldn't resist it, and bothe the sky and the clouds in this picture should prove my case. I only wish I'd been able to get better pictures of some of the astonishingly beautiful architectural details of the buildings...

Nice is nice. But it's also rich--even Rich. You can feel the money oozing out of it. But the light is beautiful. And the guy working the desk at the hostel wasn't half bad, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment