07 December 2009

Cycling journey

My overloaded bicycle! I took the train from Paris (by the way: it is REALLY difficult to take your bike plus all your ridiculous baggage on the metro in Paris. One should really pass on that option. But I had so much stuff, I was worried about riding around in Paris with it all...) Anyway: I took the train from Paris to Rennes, a very pretty university town where I took no photos. There is a canal there that runs to the ocean, and a bicycle path that runs along side it. This means that there are fewer hills, but the route is much longer.

Also, taking bicycle paths means you don't see very many other people: mostly other cyclists and runners. You don't pass through towns or villages, just past lock houses and behind pretty gardens and fields. Lovely, lonely, quiet.















At the end of my first day of cycling, the auberge de jeunesse was booked full, and I had to stay in a Chambre d'Hôte--a bed and breakfast--where I was served the most splendid of breakfasts. The house was brand new and rather beautiful; the morning was fogged out, but pretty along the canal. I couldn't see much beyond the shore, but there was plenty of warmth from the sun, and the sound of people out in rowboats and kayaks.


I arrived in St. Malo not too late in the day, where I stayed a few blocks from the sea. St Malo is very beautiful--it has a wonderfully restored walled port town, but there were far too many tourists for my taste. The ocean was beautiful--it was amazing how many man made light houses and markers were in the harbour there.

No comments:

Post a Comment