15 March 2010

Well, it's finally starting to warm up in France! After a week of freezing weather, it may all be over soon. I'm staying in an unheated bedroom full of sprouting potatoes, and I'm craving a bit of hot weather. The thought of swimming in the Mediterranean this summer perks me up more than a strong cup of coffee these days.

Sunday I'm off to Toulouse for a few days, then I leave for Morocco, one way or another! This may include a train trip through southern Spain, but I have yet to decide. Morocco looks great, and I'm excited for the mini holiday.

I'm living with a family on a property--a proper property. When I first arrived, staring throught the gate at the sprawling chateau, I thought I'd made a mistake. I've had my fill of chateaus (and the attitudes that go along with them), or was I at the wrong address?

Berangere's parents live in the chateau that they've been reconstructing for the last twenty years. The two impressive towers at either end are pigeon towers (pictures to come), something that is really common in this part of France. Berangere and her family live in the smaller house, and she rents a feild in the neighbouring town, where she has two very large greenhouses and plenty of field to work. She has been doing regular basket delivery--a little like Green Earth Organics, or other delivery systems, but this is farm direct. In May, she's starting up with AMAP, a co-operative of farmers who pool their produce together so sell. In other words: I'm finally learning something! I've arranged to come back in early June, so those of you who are inclined to write, you can send me mail here (check my March address for the actual address...) That also means that I get to see what became of all the things I'm planting now. I'm hoping to coincide with strawberry season, even if strawberry picking is slow and tedious.

I was the first WWOOFer this year, and it's been two weeks of harvesting winter vegetables, and prepering the earth for plowing. The snow and cold kept us closer to home the last week, so we've been sewing seeds and transplanting seedlings in the small greenhouse in the backyard. 5 degrees in the greenhouse beats 2 degrees outside in the wind. I'm trying to develope a greater appreciation of radishes--I'm not the biggest fan, but they are one of the earliest garden rewards, and they are quite pretty all bundled up in a rosette. I've also discovered manche, a winter lettuce that I've only encountered in France so far, and blette, which I suspect is a sturdier cousin of swiss chard. I made a raclette sauce for the blette this evening--delicious.

I've also discovered Godeale--something like good ale in the name, and what a wonderful beer! Not the dark and molasses I usually go for, but golden and super tasty. Look for it, beer drinkers! Wine is overwhelming here, I have to say. There is a whole aisle of red wine, and only a skinny self of beer, so when I don't have the energy to concentrate, it's easier to pick a French beer than a French wine. I'm also less interested in red these days, and the white selection is much slimmer and more expensive than the reds. I need to drink more water anyway.

I've been devouring graphic novels since Jean-Fred showed me their library of band dessiné. Trois Ombres by Cyril Pedrosa, and Muchacho by Emmanuel Lepage were both fantastic. I've got Le Combat Odinaire by Manu Larcenet at my side for when I'm ready to brave the cold of my room! They've got Chris Ware and Craig Thompson in French, but I'm not tempted enough to read them again. Have I mentioned how great the French graphic novels are? The selection is incredible...

I should have an address for April soon--keep on the lookout!

5 comments:

  1. Look at you! Too many chateaux, too much red wine... What a hard life!

    I shall start gardening soon again! I won't have you as a fellow WWOFer this time, so let's see how it goes...

    I owe you an email, probably among many other things. I hope the second recipient was quicker in replying, but I wouldn't trust him with my life on that...

    Bissous!

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to get an update! I'm looking forward to photos. How much longer are you there for? As in, how much time (if any) do I have for sending letters?

    Oh and by the by... if you want to send red wine to me to store for when you move here, that is totally fine. I accept chocolate and interesting beers as well. If cheese travelled better, then cheese too. I can't guarantee that it wouldn't get sampled, but I would certainly keep the empty bottles for you... ; )

    ps
    The word verification for this was: misheiv
    Serendipity or what!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Serendipity indeed! I'm only here for a few more days, but I'm leaving my stuff here and coming back on the 14th, so you have until the...4th of April maybe? I got your letter this week (or was it last?) I'm working on a reply. I should be arriving in Montreal with some bottles, no doubt--i don't know how well they ship. Someone else might have a similar idea to yours! But when I arrive, we are going out for dinner and then we're going to watch Sherlock Holmes. Right? And there should be an attrociously oversized package arriving at your address soon--I went shopping. Plus, it's spring enough to get rid of some of the winter duds...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a date! If Sherlock is still in theaters. Things don't seem to stay in theaters very long anymore, they seem to go from the marquee to the dvd shelf in a week. But we will find something! Maybe Alice will still be in theaters.
    I will keep a lookout for the box!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, we'll have to rent it! Holmes, that is. And there are three packages on their way--one is massively heavy! My apologies!

    ReplyDelete