30 March 2010

Late Bloomers

Before I started travelling, I was really disappointed that I hadn't yet. Everyone seems to go off travelling in their late teens or early twenties, but I didn't start until I was 26. However, since I started travelling, I've often felt relieved that I didn't start until I was a little older. Travel, like so many other things, is thoroughly wasted on the young. The number of people I see who are in fantastic locations with amazing people living all around them, but who chose to stick to English, hang out with other English speakers, and spend their time getting really, really drunk astounds me. This is pretty much applicable to ALL language groups. Now, I've met some fabulous people who were travelling like I was, and I love meeting other travellers. But one has to move beyond one's normal boundaries to discover new things, and hanging with the same old in a new locale is not pushing yourself to do anything new. Also, I've become a fan of sleep. I literally ragefully hate people who keep me from it. Like Johnny Depp said, in your twenties, you brag about how little sleep you get. In your thirties (well, he may have said forties, but I'm not there yet), you brag about how much sleep you get.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha... that is an awesome Johnny Depp quote. Ah, you give me hope! I've done almost none of the travelling I want to do, and this makes it sound like there are some benefits to doing it later on. But not too much later. Although, when you get to your 70s I hear that you go back to getting not much sleep so maybe that's a perfect time to hang out with all the partying 20 somethings.

    ReplyDelete