20 January 2010

Things I Miss

Being on the road is a whole lot of adventure, and I love it so. But there are a lot of things I miss whilst I am a-vagabonding. Foremost on my list is hanging out with friends and seeing my family! But there are other wantings. Today I popped onto Facebook, which tends to bore me, but which gives me something to do while I'm waiting for someone or for a train. A friend had posted a link to this, which ignited my book lust! I love Keith Thompson's work, whom I had no knowledge of until twenty minutes ago. I've read three of the Scott Westerfeld's four Uglies/Pretties series (and liked them well--Australians seem particularily devine at YA SciFi/Fan), and I am now SITTING ON MY HANDS I'm so excited to get them on a copy of Leviathan. And thus, one of the things I miss: books! I think I have to work in a library or a bookstore, because I feel rather incomplete without the presence of BOOKS. Perhaps this is a failing; perhaps not.

And here is a little list of things I miss, just to make one:

1. Riding my bike with Venus (which occassionally included a picnic in the graveyard. Bubble tea!)
2. Latish dinner and bubble tea at Beefy Beef with the crew from Oakridge. They encouraged my cravings for both meat and the sugary wonder of bubble tea, though with coconut, and not tapioca.
3. Wine with any combination of friends, and lots of loud talk, and louder laughter.
4. Hanging out with Ian and Venus, and whichever unsavories they'd dragged up as companions. And the lovely food that went along with it. I don't know if my stomach usually hurt afterwards from laughing too much or eating too much (or both). And the pleasant ride home afterwards.
5. Night rides with friends. Night is the only time for riding on the west side, and perferably during the week, when the yahoos are at home and not out drunk in the streets.
6. Laughing. The laughs are still around, but they are much more rare these days. Gardening and doing masonry just don't bring on the laughter very often.
7. I suppose I should also admit that I do miss my evening shifts at Oakridge, with some of my favourite co-workers and my favourite patrons.
8. Riding out to my parents to hang out with the family and the dogs. I did this too infrequently!

My craving for Canadian magazines shall soon be satiated, when my lovely mother sends some in the mail.

All said, I'm still happily on the road. And on the road I shall be soon, to Porto Vecchio and then Bonifacio. I'm getting a ride most of the way there, which leaves me with only 40 or so kms to do instead of more than one hundred. Then Sardinia! For a day or two.

3 comments:

  1. Sweet, I'm in there twice! Don't forget burgers etc at the Galley after skimming! HEY! Skimming! Oh, I wish you'd be back for skim season. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm there twice too! Though my name was never mentioned ;) We miss you too! Without you, there are no more bubble tea nights. Or at least very very very rare.

    ReplyDelete