05 January 2010

Corsica

It feels warm like spring one day, it's mildly frozen but sunny the next, then wind, now rain and fog. But it's beautiful!

I'm on a large and beautiful bit of land in the valley of Bravone, near Tallone. You can see Tallone (when it isn't foggy) from the garden--a clutch of stone buildings atop the hill. It's deceptive! The walk to Tallone is a long, winding, uphill march, and there isn't much in the town itself, just a post box and an old church, and a nativity scene put in disorder by the recent winds. Joseph is the only guy standing, and the wise men seem to be hiding in the bushes. I saw two cows and several barking dogs, and three people in the cemetary (which seems larger than the town itself...)

The mountains are beautiful here. The view from the top of the nearest ridge was of the Mediterranean in one direction, and a snow covered mountain in the other. The wind, though, once I'd left the shelter of the valley was cold and strong!

The best part? The view of Monte Cristo from my bungalow. Actually, the best part was my sucess at lighting a fire last night. No electricity, so no heat, makes my little wooden shell of a house pretty chilly in the eveningtime! And, yes, that means no internet access, so hold tight, those that are looking for updates. I may manage it, but the (noisy!) library (where I paid ten euro to become a member for internet access!!) is far and gone (20 kms) away.

I'm here until the 20th, then I hope to spend a few days on Corsica, cycling around before I take the ferry to Nice. But for now, it's rain and Monte Cristo!

No comments:

Post a Comment