14 January 2010

Tallone

Here I am, still in Tallone, on Corsica. The rest of France is knee-deep in snow, but here we've had a little frost, a little rain, and a bit of sun.

I've been finishing an exterior wall with cement for the last four days, and I have to say, I don't mind doing anything, relatively, if I don't have to do it all week. By the end of three hours of smearing cement on cinderblocks, I'm near to swearing. But I leave next Wednesday, so the end is near, even if the project isn't completed!

On Saturday I rode my bicycle to the top of the mountains, to the Col de Cosardo, which was 6 inches in snow, and beautiful. The ride up the mountain was a continuously gradual climb, and I'm hoping I can do it again, but this time loaded down with all my stuff. I have some lovely photos, but that will have to wait until another time...

My dreams for Wednesday include a rather hearty and luxurious cooked meal, which will be sure to include wine, meat, and bread. Damnable vegans make me want nothing but meat!

I'm getting a ride to Corte this Saturday, so I'll be able to scope the city out before I arrive Wednesday, and I'll be able to decide whether the route is possible fully loaded. Sunday there may be a trip to a monastary, though it might in fact be a nunnery, or whatever you call the female version.

McGill has nearly rejected me. This is the third time they've asked me for academic referrences, and you'd think they'd know by now that I don't have any, and I have good reason for not having any. Emailing professors whom I took classes from ten years ago is rather embarrassing. Yeah, I know you don't remember me, but I'm begging anyway. I'm not too worried about it, though, since there are a lot of other things I'd like to do besides the MLIS at McGill. Besides, I think I'll learn French better if I'm not going to an English school. Maybe Engineering is in the future? Plus, I've had offers from new friends to travel the USA with them...

But I'm not there yet! Instead, I'm escaping the winter on Corsica. I hear Vancouver's weather is just perfect for the Olypic games--14° and melting!

No comments:

Post a Comment