26 August 2010

Mattress Day!

Adrien and I went to Ikea today--Adrien is a hero. I don't know that many people who would sacrifice most of one of their days off to go to Ikea. I've only been to Ikea about three times (that being about three times too many), and I always get an instant headache as soon as I walk in. However, I was super excited to have a mattress, so headaches (and cheap, unsustainable furniture) be damned!

We got it into my room (after rather divine burgers at le paryse) and I got down to allen keys and the jigsaw puzzle.


I have no idea what Ikea was getting at with this. There's no need to translate things that don't make sense, so I suppose they saved money on hiring translators. And the gender-inspecific ghost people are supposed to be neutral everything, so no one gets offended while being completely puzzled. I do wish I could speak tool, though, like the in the first panel...


Alright, so, even though I think the neuter ghost was meaning I should do this assembly with someone, after ten minutes, I had the headboard together.


Which lead to the first modification. The vertical bits were cut too big for the design. The bed is meant to have an off-set top bar, but the bars were cut to fit a flush edge. I decided the vertical bars were more ornamental than structural, so I took them out.


Everything went pretty well, even if the extra support legs that run down the centre of the bed don't touch the floor, rendering them rather useless, until I got to the slats. They are fine EXCEPT the cloth ribbon holding them all together was set too short, so the slats don't sit evenly, and don't hook onto the stays, so they may move around a bit under the mattress, though I hope not. I tried to just pull the ribbon off, but it was surprisingly strong, possibly the strongest part of the whole bed...


Regardless, it's done! I think everyone already knows that Ikea does shitty designs, but for 50$, you get what you pay for. Now for my first good night's rest in about ten days. Thermarests are really meant for camping on soft-ish ground, not on hardwood!



No comments:

Post a Comment