23 November 2009

You're from Canada?

There are three things people ask me when I say I'm from Canada.
Are you from Quebec?
Do you get a lot of snow?
What about the bears?
I forget that not everyone lives in such a large, mostly unpopulated country with wild! animals! Of course, then someone tells you stories about encounters with Canadian wildlife. A guy I met in Ashland, Oregon at my bike mechanics course said he went on a hiking trip in Montana or somewhere, and he knew he'd passed into Canada when a moose charged him. My French family read an account of the Olympic torch being interrupted by a Polar Bear in Churchill Manitoba! So it's Polar Bears 1, Olypics 0.

2 comments:

  1. At least they didn't ask you if everyone lives in igloos... which is an astounding question to be asked of someone who lives a few short hours from the Canadian border. But that happened to me once. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that was a rumour from the 60s! But then, a woman from North Carolina asked me if Greenland was part of Canada, but then she couldn't remember the name of the mayor of Florida. Surprising, really.

    ReplyDelete